Life's Balance: Eat, Lift, Teach.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Random Ramblings

I want to give a quick shoutout to my savage south ladies that ROCKED the N.C. NPC state show in High Point this past weekend! I'm so proud of you ladies, 2010 is going to be a great year! I love my coach and my entire team- http://www.cathysavagefitness.com/

Okay, I don't have a blackberry, but I have an iPhone that lives in my hand and I should not be in class right now using such technology! I am coming to the end of my internship and instead of thinking of the ten thousand things I need to finish before it's over i'm rather focusing on the fact that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel and it's so close I almost need my sunglasses! So i'll admit that I'm not fully attentive to these lectures on unit organizing or the fact that i have a citizenship unit sitting on my desk unfinish- oh but there is plenty of time for all that hoop-lah. (I'm sure that isn't a word, but this is my blog and i don't have to be gramatically correct!)



I started Gregg Valentino's book Death. Drugs. And Muscle: Surviving the Steroid Underworld. I'm by no means supporting drug use of any kind, I don't use a single supplement (other than yummy flinstone vitamins-cause i'm a child), BUT this man's story teaches a bigger lesson than strength in body building. I love memoirs, I love book's about real life thing's that people have been through. Gregg talks about the stupid ass things he's done, and calls himself an asshole numerous times, he's aware that he has made mistakes but his though processes about his mistakes are what makes the book truly interesting. I would say this book is very much like the movie Blow only with muscle and steroids. Being involved in fitness whether it be bikini or bodybuilding is just a very dedicated hobby, but the issue with self image is a huge problem. This doesn't just apply to the fitness industry. People are rotting their bodies away with testosterone, women are taking every pill that has "FAT-LOSS" typed across it, people are spending over a hundred thousand dollars on plastic surgery a year-for WHAT? Just to look better? I bust my ass almost every day to get to where I want to be at physically, and even though there are numerous times I wish I could do certain things to get that "boost", I am not doing this merely for the physical aspect, I am strengthening my inner self as well. It is so easy to get dragged down into this dark side of the world in anything, but you need to remember who you are and what you value. It's not about having faith or being partically religious but what are your morals? What do you believe in and what do you need to do to get there? If you make mistakes then learn something from them, and learn something from other peoples mistakes-it'll save you a lot of heartache. If you're looking for a little perspective, forget that fact that Gregg is a freaking idiot and has the massive arms..blah blah blah, and read the book you'll be surprised on what "wisdom" he has to put across.

Then again I have a strange taste in literature :)




My favorite quote from the book, and seriously there is like 100 of them is:

"We all have the opportunity to find that place where awareness trumps our actions. And I've reached that place, I can't go back"




I better get back to focusing, well actually I've never actually started focusing-but I will NOW! I got my training in at 6 this morning, so now I have all day free to be productive (or take a nap and lay around all day baking turkey meatloaf-which reminds me I MUST go to the grocery store today, i'll add that to my untouched to do list!). Spending some time outside and then spinning later tonight!


*Note to self: buy a bike. it's too nice to sweat inside.

Oh yeah and I paid off my stupid best buy credit card and chopped that thing right up. I only paid $2.45 in interest fee's the entire time I had it-TAKE THAT BEST BUY, can't suck me out of money!

3 comments: